Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.: Bad news, or maybe not...

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Bad news, or maybe not...

Today I was talking to Chris in instant messages, and he told me that one of our friends from High School had died in a motorcycle wreck. Then after a while he said that it actually may not have been him. His name is Jared Vaughn, but there are a lot of Vaughns around here, and in fact there's another Jared Vaughn in another town nearby. We still didn't know which it was. Chris hadn't seen the article, because he doesn't live here and get our paper, but his mom had called and told him. I got a paper and read it for myself, and now we're certain it wasn't him, because this person's name is spelled Jarod, instead of Jared, which could just be the paper getting it wrong, but also, it said this guy was 27, Jared is only 25 or 26.

We're both pretty relieved. Jared was a pretty good friend back in High School. Neither of us have heard from him in years though. We don't even know where he is or what he's doing now. Last we heard, he was in college, but that was a couple of years ago. He went off to college and just pretty much disappeared. Even his family didn't know where he was or what he was doing for a while. He would email me occasionally, mostly to send me some of his latest stories, but he hasn't even done that in a couple of years now. He doesn't even know what my email address is now, and I don't know what his is now, either.

Jared was part of the inner circle of our group of friends. What I mean by that is, out of the big group that we were in, there were a few of us that were good friends, and made up the core of the group, and then there were several other people that always hung out with us, but that we didn't really like all that much. Jared was part of the core group. He always wrote the best stories. I've mentioned his stories on here before. He wrote the weirdest stories ever, like The Adventures of Wonder Kevin, in which I was the world's fattest Superhero, and Chris was my sidekick. The second Wonder Kevin story was the best, it featured Ronald Reagan in his true form of Obi Ron Kenobi (who wielded the Ronald Ray Gun), helping us prevent Martha Stewart from taking over the universe, with the help of Scott, one of the guys that hung out with us that we didn't like.

After he left for college, he kept occasionally emailing me his latest writings, of which some started actually being fairly serious things, instead of just crazy humor. Jared is pretty much the reason I started writing in the first place.

Me and Chris really wish he'd make contact with us sometime. Maybe he will google his name or something, and find this post and get in contact with me. If he isn't dead, that is. Which we are pretty much certain he isn't.