Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.: Lawnmower Man

Monday, March 28, 2005

Lawnmower Man

Ugh, I am in pain right now. Today I mowed my parents' lawn. I haven't mowed a lawn in around ten years. Back when I was like 13, 14, and 15, I used to mow lawns for money, but I don't think I've mowed a lawn since then. I may have mown my parents' lawn a couple of times since then, but I know I haven't even done that in at least five years. I asked my parents the other day if they'd pay me for mowing their lawn this spring and summer, because I desperately need both the money and the exercise. They said yes, for both reasons, they agree I really need the exercise too. I am getting terrible out of shape, I hardly ever leave the house or anything except for work. I work, then come home and sit in front of the computer for 7 hours, then on my days off, I sit in front of the computer for about 15 hours. I hardly ever even get up and walk around the apartment, except to go to the bathroom, or to go to the kitchen to get something to eat.

I am in so much pain right now, I can barely move. I don't even want to think about what I'll be like tomorrow. I don't know if I'll even be able to go to work tomorrow, I'll probably be so sore. I'm not calling in for that though. Especially since I'm trying to get more hours, I'm not going to try to get off work early as much, and stuff like that. And I'm going to seriously try to go find some little second job. I keep meaning to apply at Subway, because that seems like a very easy job. The Subway here hardly ever even has any customers when I drive by.

I'm not as out of shape as my pain makes me sound, because it was more than just simply mowing a lawn. It was the first mowing of the year, and so there was lots of other stuff I had to do first, it took me almost 5 hours to do everything. My parents have a big tree in the front yard, that drops thousands of these tiny, spikey wooden ball things, and the yard was just thick with them, so I had to rake them all up, and then bend over and put the piles into sacks. There was four large yardwork size trash bags full of them, just from this one tree. Then, there were stick, and rocks, and little pieces of brick that crumbles off the crappy house, and I had to pick all that up. What is the proper verb form for saying you used a weedeater? I've always wondered that. I usually say "weedeated," and so does my family, but it sounds stupid. Anyway, there's a ton of junk in the yard that has to be weedeated around, so much that it took me probably an hour just to do that. Also, the lawn was so grown up, and slightly wet, that it was really hard to mow, I had to go over everything at least three times to get it to look good. So that's why it took so long, and why I am so sore. Still, the mowing wasn't that bad, I didn't even break a sweat doing that. It's my arms that hurt so bad, from carrying the heavy gas-powered weedeater around for so long, and my back hurts, from bending down for so long picking up those spike things.

I didn't expect it to take me so long to do, I had other stuff I was wanting to do today, but now I'll have to wait until Wednesday for most of it, and so I will be busy all day Wednesday too. I have to do a chapter or two of my business course (I've only got three left), pay a bunch of bills, get a haircut, go shopping, go get my new car tag, and probably something else I'm forgetting.

Mowing the lawn today brought back a lot of memories. Like I said, I used to mow lawns all the time when I was a teenager, and it brought back a lot of memories from then. Also, I enjoyed myself, even though it was hard work. For some reason I've always kind of enjoyed mowing lawns.

I just know I'll regret it tomorrow though. Good thing I've got a big bottle of Advil handy.