Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.: My Wait for Halo

Friday, November 12, 2004

My Wait for Halo

I finally remembered the other stuff I was going to talk about... When I waited in line for my copy of Halo 2. Duh. Oh, and also, the problems with the game disks. My brain just unfroze.

So, I reserved my copy in May. Quite some time ago. Then, about a month ago, I went back and fully paid for my copy, instead of just the five dollars down. Because if your copy was paid for, you didn't have to wait in line with the people who hadn't paid. You'd just walk up and show them your VIP pass, and get your copy. That was the idea anyway, but it didn't work out that way. In fact, it was the opposite. EVERYONE prepaid for their copy. So the people who hadn't paid got there's quickly, while those who had paid in full, had to wait in line for hours. I got there about 10:45, along with my mom, who followed me up there, because she had a copy reserved for my sister for Christmas. She hadn't paid for hers, but I had paid for mine. She got her copy about an hour before I got mine. She got hers about 12:30, barely half an hour after it went on sale. I got mine about 1:35, and it was 2:00am before I got back home. Then, I made myself read the instruction book before even putting the game in the machine. So I finally put it in the X-Box around 2:30. And then I almost shit myself, because it said, "Your X-Box cannot recognize this disk. Please make sure it is an X-Box game, DVD or Audio CD. Also, the disk may be dirty or scratched." I kept my calm though, and took it out of the machine, to see if I could see anything wrong with it. It was spotless, there was no dirt or scratches. I put it back in the machine, and it worked this time. But, the graphics were skippy sometimes during the cutscenes and stuff, and then a couple of days later, I tried to play it, and it kept giving me that same error message. I had to take it out and put it back in and try again several times before it finally worked, so I finally took it back. I'm not the first one either. I don't know if it's happening all over, or maybe it's just the shipment that came here or something, but nearly everyone I know has had to take theirs back to. Everyone keeps getting that same error message. One guy I know had to take his back twice before he finally got one that worked.

My brain just froze again, but I think I was done anyway. I'm going to go play Halo 2 now.