Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.: Apple Unveils new G5 iMac

Friday, September 03, 2004

Apple Unveils new G5 iMac

iMac G5 in pictures | CNET News.com

Yeah, I know this story is about a week late, but ths article is the first I've found that had good pictures of the computer. Yes, that's then entire computer, not just a monitor. And it features the new G5 processor, which is Apple's latest, most powerful processor. For you PC users out there, G3, G4, G5, etc, is Apple's way of naming their processors, like how Pentium names theirs the Pentium 3 and Pentium 4, etc.

I like the new design, but not as much as the iMac I have, the previous design with the rounded base and the thin flatscreen monitor on the swing arm. To me, I think the new design is selling out, the websites all say that they designed it to look like the iPod, since that's their big seller right now, hoping to get more people to switch to the Mac because it looks like the iPod that they own and love so much. I also don't like the disk drive, instead of having a pop-out tray like most CD/DVD drives, it features a slot-loading device, like the CD player in most cars. Apparently I have different standards for computers, because all stories I read, everyone absolutely loves the design of the new iMac, and the slot-loading drive.

Apple Puts the Squeeze on new iMac

This article tells more about the computer, such as the hardware specifics and price. In the article they describe the $1,299 price tag as being very high, and the computer's main obstacle. Especially when compared with the $500 to $700 desktop PCs most people are buying now. Man, computer prices have went down so much it's amazing. When I bought my current iMac I paid over $2000 for it, and thought I was getting a great deal. And that was only about two years ago. I've paid over $2,000 for every computer I've ever owned. TO show how much the pricing and power of computers have changed, I'll use the example of my second computer, and IBM Aptiva. It had a 366Mhz processor, 8 megabytes of RAM, and a 3 gigbyte hard drive, which at the time was an incredible new amount for a hard drive, the 366Mhz processor was also brand-new top of the line. For this computer, a staggering piece of shit by today's standards, I paid over $2,000. And this was only around 8 or 9 years ago.

Anyway, here are some more Mac related stories:

New iMac Tries to Play it Cool

Open-source Pedigree will Protect Tiger