Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

I was supposed to have been off today, but I volunteered to go in, only because I already had 90 minutes of overtime, and anything I worked today would also be overtime. I was originally about halfway joking when I volunteered, since I was on overtime I didn't figure Allen would actually let me, they usually do anything they can to keep people from getting overtime. They were really shorthanded today, and Allen was trying to find people to come in and work today, and I said "I'll come in, for 8 hours of overtime." And he said "You want to come in? I'll be more than happy to let you if you want to, you can work say 10:00am to 2:00pm, or 10:00 to 4:00." I thought for a moment, and said that, yeah, I'd come in for the ten to two shift, and that I would do the ten to four, but I had some stuff I needed to do. So I went in today at ten. I ended up getting sent home about 1:15 though, because it ended up being really slow today, and they didn't need all the extra people after all. I still got about 4 hours and 45 minutes of overtime in all this week though. I get 30 to 90 minutes of overtime every week anymore.

One of the things I needed to get dome today was getting a haircut, and I ended up not even being able to get one, because the place I normally go to was full up. They were shorthanded today too, and the person they did have was full with appointments, so I'm going to try again tomorrow probably. The other thing I needed to do I just remembered about. I forgot to do it today. Luckily it isn't something I have to get done, just something I need to do sometime. I need to go to the postoffice and buy some stamps. I have envelopes, but no stamps.

So, as I mentioned, they finally got my AC back in. But now I don't think it's even working as good as it was before they took it out. The first couple of days I had it I had to let it run 24 hours a day. But now that it's got it cooled off in here, it's keeping it pretty cool, and I was able to turn it off for the few hours I was at work, and then even when I've had it on, I only have it on medium instead of high. Even if it is working fine, I need to have them look at a couple of things on it. For one, they didn't get the vents connected to it very well, and half the cold air just goes into the closet, instead of the vents. Also, it makes a weird squeal now the entire time it's on. Not too loud, but loud enough you can hear it if there's no TV or music or anything on. Especially when you're trying to go to sleep at night in the same room it's in.

I'm off again tomorrow, which is cool. I basically had a day and a half off since I worked such a short shift today. Other than maybe getting a haircut, I probably won't get out of the house much tomorrow. I'll probably just do some work around the house, getting more stuff out of boxes and stuff, though there's only a couple of things left I can unpack until I get some more bookshelves. I finally got the place vacuumed a few minutes ago, and got my dresser back where I originally had it, before they moved it to get my AC out, and almost ruined it.

Man, gas prices sure have gotten high here. Oklahoma usually has one of the lowest prices on gas in the country, but it's still almost up to $2.00 a gallon here. It went up 14 cents in just a few days. Just a week or so ago it was $1.65 a gallon for regular unleaded, which is still a record high for here, but then it went up 7 cents overnight. Then maybe 5 days later, it went up another 7 cents, so it's now $1.79 for regular unleaded, $1.84 for the grade I have to use in my car, and $1.94 for the grade my mom's fancy car is supposed to have. And it's just supposed to keep going up.