Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Current Mood: Full of righteous indignity.
Current Music: "If it is to be, it is up to me," by Chumbawamba.


If the people at your local fast food place are rude, it's because they have to put up with idiots like you. And idiots like this:

Yesterday I was working drive-thru, and this guy came through, and I couldn't hear what he was saying at all, because his truck was really loud, and making rattling noises, and just generally sounding like a piece of crap. After he repeated himself a couple of times, instead of turning his truck off, like most people, he says, "fine, I'll just come in," and peels out in my ear. So I'm standing there explaining to Allen, the General Manager, what happened, and I'm not being rude about it or anything, just explaining that I couldn't hear the guy and that he said he was going to come in. The guy walks in and hears me saying this, and says angrily, "I'm right here, so stop talking about me in front of me." And Allen says, "Don't talk to my employees like that, he was just telling me what happened." But before he can finish, the guy says "No! Don't you take that tone with me! You've already messed up my order once!" And by this time he's so angry he can barely even talk anymore, so he just says, "No, fuck Carl's Jr.," and walks out the door, slamming it open against the wall as he goes out. So we're just standing there, trying not to laugh, when two seconds later he slams the door back open, and comes storming in and says to Allen, "I want a phone number where I can report you at!" And Allen points to the little sign hanging on the door that he just came through, that gives the number to call, and tells the guy it's right there, and the guy yells, "NO! You give me a number! YOU GIVE ME A NUMBER! I'm not going to go out there and write it down! You give me a business card or something with a number I can call and report you assholes!" Allen gives him a split second look before he walks to the office to write the number down for the guy, and the guy flinches, like he's going to go over the counter at Allen, and yells, "DON'T YOU LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT AGAIN!" And while Allen's in the office, the guy starts muttering things, basically saying things along the lines of, "How dare they have the gall to tell ME what to do, when they're just idiots that are so stupid they have to work at a fast food place." That's something that really bothers me, this stereotype that everyone has that everyone that works at a fast food place has to work there, because they're some kind of retarded monkey that wasn't even able to make it through elementary school and nowhere else will hire them because they're such stupid losers. There's not a day that goes by that I'm not treated like I have a single-digit IQ at least five times. But I digress. Apparently, while Allen was in the office writing, he glanced up at the guy, because he almost went over the counter after him again, and then when Allen came back up there with the number, the guy grabbed it violently, yelled some more things I don't remember, and stormed out. The guy called the number minutes later, we know because we called them and checked. The number was for the main headquarters, but he also got the number to talk to Randall, the owner (actually the owner's son, but he runs the place more than his father does) of the two locations in our franchise, and has called both numbers several times in the last 24 hours. The first time he called Randall, he was so angry and rude and violent, Randall finally told him, calm down and call me back in an hour, I'm not going to even talk to you until you calm down, and hung up on the guy, which only made him madder. In the past 24 hours he has called the numbers over and over, and has been using such words as, "going postal," and "kill," and "kill Allen," and "kill" some more. We've already called the cops, but we don't know who the guy is, so there's nothing we can do until he shows up again.

And we didn't even do anything at all, just ask him to repeat his order. Just imagine how angry he'd be if we had actually been rude to him. He would've probably exploded. Oh, and right before he left, he looked at me and said "I do apologize to you, it's not your fault you couldn't hear me, those speakers are pieces of shit." I wanted to tell him, "I've understood almost every other customer I've had today, the problem isn't that the speakers are pieces of shit, it's that your truck is a piece of shit." But I didn't because he probably really would've attacked someone then.

Then today, I had another customer that was upset over nothing, though she was good natured about it, she didn't get angry or yell or anything. She came through drive-thru, and ordered two of the Six Dollar Burgers, which are actually $3.99 each, and two large fries, which are $1.69 each, before tax. Her total after tax ended up being over $12. She got around to the window, and asked me, "why is it that expensive? There must be something wrong." And I said, "well, the Six Dollar Burgers are $3.99 each, and the large fries are $1.83 each." She said, "the menu didn't say they were $1.83," and I said, "well, they're $1.83 after tax, they're $1.69 before tax." And she said that no they weren't, and just stared at me, like she was waiting for me to admit that I was lying to her. I just stared back, and after a few seconds she said, "well I'm never coming here again." Then, because she ordered so many fries, she was going to have to wait for more to cook, so I told her that it would take a couple of minutes on the fries, and to pull forward and we'd bring them out as soon as they were ready. She rolled her eyes at me, and laughed at me like I was some kind of idiot, and then pulled forward.

It's having to put up with people like this for almost 8 years that makes me hate people so much.

People complain about how rude people in retail and fast food, and actually most jobs, are today. It's not that the employees have forgotten how to treat the customer, it's that the customer has forgotten how to treat the employees. Back like in the '50s, it was easy to smile and go the extra mile to be nice to the customers, but that's because back then the customers were nice too. People in general were a lot nicer and a hell of a lot politer back then. Now, 99.9% of the people in this country are miserable bastards who would rather spit on you than talk to you. Most of them are pretty damn stupid too. Oh sure, we as a race may be a lot smarter than we were at any other point in history, we may know more "facts" today, but that doesn't mean we have any common sense.

"Sure, they may be smart, but they don't have any COMMON SENSE." -- J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, 1963

People in the world today, and especially in America, exhibit what can only be described as an alarming lack of common sense. A quick skimming of the daily news headlines will show you that. So will flipping through the current crop of lame sitcoms and so-called reality shows. And the lawsuits speak for themselves. "My kid's fat! Why didn't they tell me that feeding my children nothing but McDonalds, instead of, oh I don't know, actually COOKING FOR THEM, was bad for their health? I know, I'll sue!" "I have lung cancer from smoking FIVE PACKS a day. Oh! Oh! I know! I'll sue the tobacco companies! It must be their fault!"

And on top of it all... I hate this new Blogger program.

Oh, and the reason I haven't been posting, or even online, in several days, is because Chris is home on leave now. He has to report down at his new base, which, luckily, is relatively close, in Fort Worth, TX, in a few weeks. So far we haven't really done much, just sat around and played Halo. Speaking of which, I bought one of the cool t-shirts from Red vs. Blue, and it already came in yesterday, only three or four days after I ordered it. Just in time to play Halo with Chris and Daniel. I got the Donut shirt.


"I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring up at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde