Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.

Sunday, January 25, 2004

I finished lesson two of my small business course a couple of days ago, and I'm going to start on lesson 3 later. The third chapter is about ethics. Ugh.

I spent several hours yesterday looking over the different accounts and interest rates offered by the various banks in town, trying to find a better interest rate. My current, regular savings account only earns a 1.01% interest rate. I barely earned $29 last year, on an account that was around $3000 the whole year. After spending several hours looking, I found a really nice account at a different bank. It's an interest earning checking account, that earns a much higher interest rate than their normal interest-earning accounts if you have more than $2,500 in the account, which I will. There's also no monthly charge as long as your balance remains over $2,500. It didn't say in the brochure what the interest rate was exactly, but the way it sounds, it's probably higher than my current savings account. So Tuesday, when I'm off I'm going to spend most of my day switching out my accounts. First I'm going to go to the new bank, and ask them more about the account, what the interest rate is and stuff, and then, if I still want to switch, I'll have to go to my current bank and close out my accounts, and then go back to the other bank, and open my new account. Since I'll be putting all the money from both my savings and my checking account in this new account, I'll have almost $4,000 in it. By the end of the month I WILL have $4,000 or so. Not back considering just a couple of weeks ago I only had around $2,800. I'm making good progress on my goal of saving up to at least $10,000 in the next couple of years to get ready for attempting to open my own business.