Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.

Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Hey kids, do you know what day this is? That's right! It's Poetry Day here at the blog!

I went to see The Return of the King yesterday. I can sum it up in three words. Best... Movie... Ever. Really, I was afraid it would suck like the second one, but this was absolutely amazing. So to celebrate, here's one of my favorites from the many songs and poems in the books, part of which they also said in the movie.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
Strong is the old that does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless, again, shall be king.


And speaking of poems, here's a poem I just suddenly thought of this morning for no apparent reason. It's another poem I really like, but it's not from Lord of the Rings, it's from a headstone I saw in the Chickasha cemetery once.

Remember, friends, as you pass by,
as you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, so you must be.
Prepare for death, and follow me.


And, yes, I quoted both those poems completely from memory. Not like that's too hard with that last one, but I did have a little trouble remembering one of the lines to the first poem.

I'm down yet another two pounds today. I've been losing two pounds every day or two the last week or so. That means I'm finally back down to 256, what I weighed before the holidays.

The last few days I've went back and read all the webcomics I missed since I stopped reading them around last August. I'm all done now, I'm completely caught up reading every strip ever created of Penny Arcade!, PvP, and MegaTokyo. Now I'm currently viewing this site: Calvin and Hobbes at Martijn's, which Melissa, a.k.a. WooTequila over there on the chatterbox, sent me last night. It is, as the name suggests, a website about the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes. It is a huge site, that has all kinds of cool stuff, including an archive of every cartoon ever published.

Me and Chris were talking last night, about maybe seriously pursuing our dream when he gets out of the navy, or gets restationed in Texas. For years we've talked about how cool it would be to open a comic store, or computer store, or some kind of cyber-cafe, something geeky like that, and about how cool it would be, because there's not much of that kind of stuff around here in Oklahoma and the surrounding states. Last night we finally figured out for sure what the store would probably be like. It would just be full of all kinds of geek stuff. Mostly Japanese stuff like you get from Jlist, which for the record does wholesale to businesses; Anime, Manga, Japanese snacks and candies, Japanese toys and Anime model kits, all kinds of cool stuff like that. It would also sell lots of computer accessories and equipment, and caffeinated beverages and candies, kind of like the stuff you get at ThinkGeek. It would also maybe sell some regular America comics, and maybe gaming accessories like Dungeons and Dragons stuff, and probably some video games too. It would be the ultimate Geek store. It would probably have back rooms where people could come to play D&D and Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and stuff like that, like some comic stores do. Of course, we probably couldn't afford all this stuff at first, we'd have to start out small, but it would still rock. It would also be cool, because we'd be one of the few places around here to get most of that stuff. It's getting easier now, but just a couple of years ago it was still almost impossible to find anime and manga around here. We don't know when or where we're going to do this, if we're going to wait until Chris is out of the military, or, more than likely, just open it down in Texas, where he's going to be stationed next. We were seriously talking about all this last night, about how we need to get some books and stuff, and learn about all this first before we even try to get started, because neither of us really knows anything about business. A few months back I almost ordered one of those study at home courses you see advertise on TV for a small business management course, I may end up doing that now. In fact, I'm gonna go look at the site in a few minutes, and see how much it costs.

This is my dream, it would be so cool to have a store like this, because something like this is the only thing that I can think of that I WANT to do. That's why I never finished college, and haven't went back yet, I just don't know what to study, nothing interests me. I just want to do something I enjoy, which is this kind of stuff. Geek Stuff (which could maybe be the name of our store). I want to be a geek, and get paid for it. I want to sit around and read manga, and watch anime, and play video games, and get paid for it. This is my dream. I AM A GEEK.