Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.

Thursday, September 18, 2003

Well, this day turned out to be a little better than it started out. The main thing that made it better was the weather. It was very autumn-like today, it was overcast and gray and windy, and the temperature was in the 60's, but felt even colder. A lot of people were actually wearing coats today. I should've worn mine. I like wearing coats, the more clothes covering my fat, the better. It was more than the weather that made it seem like autumn or winter, there were other less tangible indicators. I don't know if it's just me, or what, but autumn and winter even sound and look different. I can't really describe it, but things just look different in the winter, and I don't mean the plant life. Lights seems brighter and more colorful to me. And sounds are louder, too. For me one of the most important signs of winter is the sound of the air. I live about a mile from highway I-35, and I don't know why, but in the winter you can hear the roar of the highway, sometimes even inside the house. I don't know why sounds travel better, if it's because there's no tree leaves blocking the sounds, or if it's something to do with the cold air, but winter even sounds different. Winter also smells different, because you can smell people's fireplaces burning. I love that smell. So this semi-autumn we had today put me in a great mood, it also put me in the mood to go outside.

I left the house a couple of times today. Once I just went driving around for a while, but then later I went to Norman. For some reason I wanted to go to a music store today, so I went to Brook Mays music and just looked around for about half an hour. I almost bought a guitar. I've got $500 burning a hole in my pocket, and I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar. The trouble is, I wouldn't have learned. I have enough instruments laying around that I don't know how to play. I took band for four years in school, playing the alto saxophone, which my parents paid something like $2000 for, but never was that good, and I haven't played it in about 8 or 9 years. Then a few years ago, my parents got me a really good keyboard that I wanted for Christmas, and I bought a bunch of books on how to play the piano and stuff, because I've always wanted to learn to play the piano too, but I never took the time to learn it. I just don't have the patience or attention span to learn a musical instrument. It takes years to learn, but I have trouble keeping an interest in anything for more than two weeks. This goes for pretty much anything I do, I'll get obsessed with something, learning Japanese, learning an instrument, creating a webpage, anything really, and spend lots of money and/or time on it, then a week or two later, I just suddenly get not interested in it anymore. So I didn't get a guitar, partly because I knew it would just be a waste of money and something else to take up space, but mostly because I knew my parents would think the same thing, and be angry that I wasted money on a guitar. I know I'm 23 and I can spend my money on what I want, but I've always done what my parents say, and don't like to upset them. I've never argued with my parents about anything, even when I was a teenager. Mainly because my parents are very good to me, they're nice enough to let me live with them, they didn't kick me out when I turned 18 like a lot of parents do, they let me live with them, so I get free room and board, and meals, and sometimes they pay other expenses of mine, they are even paying for my car. This is why I always have so much money, even though I have a crap job. I hardly have any expenses, pretty much the only expenses I have are car insurance every six months, car tag every year, and clothes and stuff, which I don't buy a lot of anyway. Most of my money is just free to do whatever I want with. I'm sure my parents would've complained if I had brought home another musical instrument, but at least this time I would've paid for it myself, instead of them. I also have a harmonica, which I am decent at playing. I can play my keyboard a little by ear, I can pick out the melodies to stuff, and I know how to read sheet music, from my school band years, but I don't know the chords and stuff yet, and I'm kinda slow at playing anything. I also wish I knew how to play the violin, the cello, the bagpipes, and the accordion. I wish I could play pretty much everything.

After I went to the music store, I went to the Wal-Mart Supercenter, partly because the weather had put me into the mood to look at Halloween and, yes, Christmas decorations. Wal-Mart didn't have a very good selection of Halloween stuff this year. Mainly because they were already putting up Christmas stuff. I hate that! It gets earlier every year! They had Christmas stuff up by the first of September this year. At this rate, within 50 years, it will have gotten so early that it will have come completely around back to Christmas again, and so they will just never take them down and sell them year round. They had Christmas stuff sitting next to lawn stuff, lawnmowers and fertilizers, and things like that. It made me want to kill. I spent $50 at Wal-Mart because they had this big bin full of DVDs for $5.88. Most of them were pretty crappy movies, like Ernest Scared Stupid, and many I'd never even heard of, but they did have several good movie too. I bought a couple of Jackie Chan movies, and a couple of old Godzilla movies. They had a couple more I wanted to buy but didn't. I also bought a normally priced DVD, one I saw on Amazon.com the other day, it's a new DVD that just came out all about Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon. It's a bunch of interviews, and behind the scenes and tour stuff. Then I also bought some blank CDs for me to record stuff off my computer onto. There's a couple of CDs I want to burn. I downloaded several R.E.M. songs today, songs I've always loved, but never bought the album of. R.E.M. is one of my favorite bands. And yes, all these downloads are legal. I got them through legal download services.

Oh, something else that cheered me up earlier today is that some CDs I had ordered arrived today.

This post sucked. It was really long, but it was rambling and ill-planned, and I used the word "Stuff" way too much. If this had been an English assignment, I would've probably gotten a D. On the good side, I don't think I started a single sentence with "man."

Ok, I'm gonna go listen to music now, and then watch Fight Club. I just realized last night that I've never watched it with the actor and director commentary. I usually do that with DVDs of movies I really like.