Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.

Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Ok, first let me say that I normally don't watch Lupin III. I used to hate it, but it's starting to grow on me, I've watched a few epsiodes, and there have been a couple that were actually kind of cool, such as the one that was on tonight, which was one that I had seen before. Anyway, there was something in tonight's episode that surprised me greatly. On the show they had to go to a nudist colony to track down a jewel that they were trying to steal. The guy with the beard, I don't remember his name, didn't seem too pleased about the idea, and Lupin said "It sounds to me like someone's afraid he might not measure up," and the guy replied something along the lines of, "Are you kidding, it's my strong resemblance to Dillinger that made me want to get into this business in the first place." When he said this my jaw dropped. I can't believe they made a joke about such an obscure piece of historical rumor. I'm sure most people didn't even get the joke. For those of you who didn't... There is a long-standing and persistant rumor that Dillinger posessed a penis of god-like proportions, being something like 23 inches in it's flaccid state. Part of what surprised me about this joke was not just the esoteric subject matter, but the synchronicity of the event. At the time this joke was made I was once again reading "The Illuminatus Trilogy" the book from which I learned this strange piece of phallic lore.

This isn't the first strange example of synchronicity I've noticed recently. For some reason it's been happening a lot in the last 48 hours or so.

Synchronicity; Noun; Inflected forms: pl.syn·chro·nic·i·ties
1. The state or fact of being synchronous or simultaneous; synchronism. 2. Coincidence of events that seem to be meaningfully related, conceived in Jungian theory as an explanatory principle on the same order as causality.

One of the other strange, somewhat synchronous events also had it's roots in "The Illuminatus Trilogy." One of the characters in the book is a crime boss named Banana-Nose Maldonado. Maldonado is a fairly odd name, and one that I have never heard anywhere besides this book. Yet a couple of days ago at work, a guy came through drive-thru wearing a shirt for some sports team or something, and had the names of the players on it. And right there in the middle of the shirt, glaring at me, was the name Maldonado. Things like this have been happening a lot, and most of them involving this book in some way. Which is in itself odd, as this book talks about synchronicity a lot.

I've been reading a lot the last week. I like reading. All this reading and writing is also helping me get my vocabulary back, as you may have noticed in that first paragraph. I don't normally use words like "synchronicity" and "esoteric." I used to have a huge vocabulary, back when I was in elementary and middle school I actually talked like that. But then around the time I started working, my vocabulary started going down. Mainly because I was forced to stop using it, because people had trouble understanding me. Since I no longer used my vocabulary, I started to lose it. The last few years I have tried to bring my vocabulary back to it's former levels, but learning new words does little good, since I never get the chance to use most of them.

On another note, I'm feeling much better today. I'm no longer depressed. I finally realized that it was all in my head, and I was depressed over nothing. Which I knew all along, but couldn't convince myself.


Bullshit makes the flowers grow, and that's beautiful.