Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.

Saturday, July 26, 2003

My books came in! Hooray! I can't wait to read Prometheus Rising but I'm making myself finish the book I'm reading now, Quest for Cthulhu, first. Luckily I should be able to finish it in a couple of days. I'm off tomorrow, but I probably wont get to read much tomorrow. I'm gonna have to spend the day filling out forms. I finally heard from the prison about the job I was hoping to get. I go in for a final interview Friday, but before that I have to fill out this big-ass stack of papers. It's like a 15 page application. Then to make it worse, I also today got another one from the other prison building. There's two buildings, there's the prison, and then there's the detention center thing, where prisoners go right after they're arrested, before they get assigned to a specific prison. If I want to apply for both of these places, I have to fill out the 15 page application thing TWICE. Once for each prison. Well, I'm gonna go read some, then go to bed.


Every fact of science was once Damned. Every invention was considered impossible. Every discovery was a nervous shock to some orthodoxy. Every artistic innovation was denounced as fraud and folly. The entire web of culture and "progress," everything on earth that is manmade and not given to us by nature, is the concrete manifestation of some man's refusal to bow to Authority. We would own no more, know no more, and be no more than the first apelike hominid if it were not for the rebellious, the recalcitrant, and the intransigent. As Oscar Wilde truly said, 'Disobedience was man's original virtue.'" -- Hagbard Celine