Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.

Saturday, July 12, 2003

Here's a cool conversation that took place once-upon-a-time in the alt.slack newsgroup:

From: "Rev.Tim"
Newsgroups: alt.slack
Date: Sat, Oct 5, 2002

I was downtown today when the Twins game was letting out and as I watched everyone in their sports garb wandering by I wondered to myself(as there was no one else to wonder to at the time). Why does anyone care about any pro sport? What is achieved by watching such a thing and why do people waste their time on such a pointless pursuit? Not one of them I asked could tell me, and I just can't figure it out.Thank you in advance for your enlightening reply.

--
Rev Tim
I know this is all a figment of my imagination
but I may as well entertain myself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: friday@fridayjones.com (Friday Jones)

America is too big for the concept of an 'American Tribe' to take hold in a concrete fashion, and the American rituals are not held very often; at the same time, family bonds have been weakened to the point that NOBODY lives with a group of their relatives.

So everybody is looking for a tribe to belong to, a tribe to have their rituals with, and for some people, sports serves as their tribe.

For some, it's science fiction films; they go to the opening show and see all their fellow fans, and are content.

For some it's a particular newsgroup, and they post there, and are replied to by their fellow groupies, and feel one with the tribe.

The ambitious, of course, simply clone multiple copies of themselves and take over small towns in Wyoming. They all wear masks during the day, so that they look different; but at night they streams through the houses and the streets, shoulder to shoulder and bare all over, naked under the stars and moon, and all alike, each to each.

--
"On every day and in every way,
the world is samer and samer."
- nu-monet



"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute
imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point
of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell, and kill me again or take
me as I am, for I shall not change."
- Marquis de Sade's Last Will and Testament