Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.

Friday, June 20, 2003

My mom and my sister just left, they are on their way to Wal-Mart to see if they can get a copy of the Harry Potter book when it comes out at midnight. I wouldn't be surprised if they got one pretty easy. Around here, stuff like that that everyone makes a big deal about, and line up across the country to get doesn't get as big of a response as it does everywhere else. When Star Wars Episode 1 came out, some people in other states were camping in line for weeks to get tickets, whereas I simply sent the morning like any other day, then casually went to the theater around 1:00, making sure to go before school let out, and just walked up and bought a ticket, I didn't even have to wait in a line to get the ticket, or get into the theater. In fact, the room I was watching the movie in was barely half-full. About the only time I've had to wait in line to see a big movie like that was Lord of the Rings, and that was the second time I had seen it, the first time I followed my usual plan and just walked up and bought a ticket in the early afternoon. But then a few days later me and a few friends who hadn't seen it yet went to see it on a Friday or Saturday evening, and we had to wait in line for about 45 minutes. I think when the last Harry Potter book came out I went to the bookstore the next day, after they had the midnight sale the night before, and they actually still had some copies left. So my sister may get a copy tonight, but maybe not. Before they left, my mom called a couple of the places. Barne's & Noble told them they aren't even having a midnight sale tonight, because they are already out of copies. Their entire shipment is already sold to pre-orders.

If my sister does get a copy, I'll probably work out a routine with her so we can both read it. When she's not reading it, I can read a little of it, or something like that.